Windows 11 Release Date
Windows 11 was release on 5 th October 2021, combining new design, sounds and improved
user experience for increased productivity and creativity.
What happens on release day?
Users operating an eligible Windows 10 device can access a free upgrade to Windows 11.
Devices pre-loaded with Windows 11 will be on available to buy.
The IT Agency can help you determine if you’re eligible for the free upgrade, or with any
purchase of a new Windows 11 device.
Ease of use, faster access, improved experience, better communication and increased
security are at the heart of Windows 11:
- Start – using the features Microsoft 365 and cloud computing, Start instantly displays your recent files regardless of which device they were last accessed on
- Multitask and Optimise – your screen layout will look and work better than ever with Snap Layouts, Snap Groups and Desktops
- Chat – integrating MS Teams into the taskbar speeds up connection with important contacts
- Widgets – powered by AI and coupled with high-performing MS Edge, your personalised feed provides swift access to the information you’re interested in
- Gamers – access over 100 high-quality games for Windows 11 with Xbox Game Pass for PC or Ultimate and enjoy the improved technology including: DirectX12, DirectStorage and Auto HDR
- Accessibility – improvements create a better user experience for users with disabilities
- Optimised – for increased speed, efficiency and user experience using touch, voice, or digital pen inputs
- Security – secure by design, users can test Windows 11 in Azure Virtual Desktop or by accessing the new Windows 365
- Microsoft Store – easier to use and open to more people
- improved search and discovery of apps, games, shows and movies
- upcoming collaboration with Amazon and Intel to make Android apps available
- developers and independent software vendors will have greater flexibility for getting their apps in the store
Learning from previous releases, Microsoft are deploying a phased approach to delivering
Windows 11, dependent on age of any eligible device and its onboard hardware, reliability
metrics and “other factors” they deem material to the upgrade process.
Their published aim is to have offered the free upgrade to all eligible devices by mid-2022.
Windows Update will let you know, on screen, if you have an eligible machine. Alternatively,
you can check for yourself by going to Settings > Windows Update and select Check for
The IT Agency can help
Whether you need to determine if you’re eligible for a free upgrade, or you’re interested in
buying a new Windows 11-ready device – such as the new or updated devices in the
Microsoft Surface series – contact The IT Agency on (02) 8317 4730 for expert advice.